13 October 2014

Kwik Sew 2960 (pants)



 (photo credit:  Patternreview.com)

Last summer, the lovely SarahLiz embarked on a pants fitting journey that I followed with great interest.  She used several patterns, ultimately fitting Kwik Sew 2960 perfectly.  In following her progress, I was reminded of my first attempt at fitting this pattern which ultimately ended in me throwing the muslin in the magic closet.


When it comes to jeans, I don't mind a few wrinkles because I think some are necessary to sit comfortably.  But this pattern was designed for stretch wovens and, in theory, shouldn't have many wrinkles.  Right?

I returned to this pattern again in September with a wrinkles-be-damned-I-need-pants attitude.  I made three pairs, each varying wildly in fit and satisfaction.

When sewing the first pair, I noticed that the pants legs were WAY wide - wider than in the muslin.  So I nipped the front and back pieces in near the knee by an inch on both sides.


Doing this gave a much closer fit and a nice flare at the hem.  What can I say, I love flared pants!

Version 1 (stretch poly woven):  fail

I have no pictures of this pair because I already donated them.  Somehow, front and back side seams were off by a full inch and I had to stretch the pieces to fit.  This caused unsightly puckers at the hip that could not be removed no matter how much I pressed.

Version 2 (rayon poly lycra woven):  semi-fail

After fixing the side seam issue, this pair sewed much more smoothly.  However, not all rayon-poly-lycras are the same.  This pair stretched horribly!  I could take the pants off without unbuttoning/unzipping.  I cut the waistband on the cross grain and used a stretch interfacing - which only added to the problem.  Plus after only one wear, the fabric started to pill.  These are going in the donation pile or trash; I have no desire to try to fix them.

I bought five yards of this fabric and still have three left.  Unless I find something else to do with the fabric, methinks this is getting donated as well.

Version 3 (rayon poly lycra woven):  success

Either I'm a glutton for punishment or I refuse to be outdone by a piece of fabric.  In any event, I gave the RPL another try.  This time, I used a 2-yard piece left over from this Jalie jacket.  This pair was a total success (although the jacket is in the donation pile).

The weight of the fabric is pretty much the same as version 2, however I think this has more rayon than polyester.  The stretch is perfect and after two wearings and a wash, there is no pilling.  I cut the waistband on the straight grain and used a non-stretch interfacing.  The waistband is a little snug, but I MUST unzip and unbutton to take them off!  I am definitely going to make more.


I'm still working on my fall sewing plans.  The color scheme is grey, green, purple, and white/off white.  I finally started sewing again and am almost finished with a simple tank top.  I intend to start working on another version of New Look 6407 (pictured above).

***

Thank you so much for offering words of support.  I'm doing better and simply trying to take one day at a time.  I did a major bike ride yesterday and that lifted my spirits - while also making me extremely sore!  More details on that tomorrow.

Until next time, peace!

L

16 comments:

  1. Way to go!! You hung in there and came up with a nice pair of pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done!

    If you're in a pattern buying mood, might I recommend V9032. I knew I wanted them for the princess seamed butt. I muslined and they fit better than anything I've ever sewn. I had to remove 3/4" from the front rise and add 3/4" to the back (which is standard for me). I also think I need a smidge -- like 1/2" more at the waist -- which is an easy fix. But the leg fit and opening and fit through the hip/thigh is soooo nice.

    Oh! Except for there's a 2 1/2" hem allowance. I hemmed them at 2". You might need to uhmm, chop off an inch or three ;-)

    Glad your spirits are lifted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! I hadn't noticed V9032. My only reservation is the slanted pockets; that's never been a good look on my hips. You think Red Bull gives you wings? Put those slanted pockets on me and watch me take off!

      Delete
  3. Outfit looks great. The pants are wonderful on you and give you the appearance of being taller. One of my favs! Also love the blouse. I'm going to check that one out!
    If nothing else, having great pants really lift our spirts! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I need every inch too! Thanks Lynda!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on having at least one success with your quest for pants! If you think you've got the pattern figured out, you can always invest in better fabric if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My go-to pattern used to be Vogue 8751. But somewhere the fit got wonky (i.e., I put on weight) and I stopped making them. I'll definitely make a few more pairs of these.

      Delete
  5. I just pulled that pattern from the stash yesterday. I think you've got yourself a great fitting pair of pants there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye! I really like the pattern and it only has four pieces!

      Delete
  6. Pants are such a pain to fit! Yours look great! I like the leg shaping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you persevered - it's great to have an easy to make pair of pants on hand -sometimes we just need something basic on the bottom that is also quick to sew (like when there is nothing left in the closet worth wearing!).

    When I have a piece of fabric that is not going to be worth sewing, I donate it to my own in house muslin stash - that way I still get some use out of it.

    Glad you are doing some self care - very important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. - Flared pants really work for you :)

      Delete
  8. They are great pants with a lovely shape. You really do persevere with patterns don't you. Never give up never surrender!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to read about how you kept going after the second try. Your pants look fantastic. I am on my third muslin right now and felt like that was a little ridiculous. You are definitely a glutton for punishment, yet you still love to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you persevered with the pants, they look pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...