04 November 2014

Pattern Review Sewing Bee

Inspired by the Great British Sewing Bee (squeee!), PR is hosting its own version for four weeks.  The platform seems the same:  weekly challenges, weekly winners, eliminations, grand prize.  I figured I could channel my inner crafty chemist and join the contest.

But.  You know there's always a "but."

The first challenge is to sew an A-line skirt.  Ruh?  That's it?  No twist?  Piece of cake!  The last 394 skirts I made were A-line.  I could make one of these from start to finish in one day.  I was all on board until I read the requirements:
  • zipper - check
  • lining - check
  • hem - check 
  • button, hook, or any closure - check and check
  • waistband - ch....wait, what??
The skirt must include a waistband? Why?  All of my skirts purposely do not have waistbands because WHY??  Ugh.  This "rule" caused me way more stress than it should have.  I spent two days searching my pattern stash for A-line skirts with a waistband.  I found TWO.  Out of over five hundred patterns (including BWOF), I found two freakin' patterns. 
The pattern I ultimately chose was New Look 6843, view D.
The pattern has three pieces and should be really easy to sew. Remember, there's always a "but."

Contestants will be judged on construction, adherence to the rules, and creativity.  Yes, a pattern like this presents a great opportunity to do something creative.  BUT, my creative side is apparently on hiatus at the moment.  I drew a complete blank on what to do with this skirt.  I searched the internets for ideas and settled on adding pintucks.

Easy, right?  Not so much.

I came up with a few ideas:  diagonal pintucks that emanate from the waist out to the hem like a star burst; vertical tucks that start near the hip and end at the hem; and twisted tucks.  I sewed small samples of each idea and didn't like them enough to proceed.  Accuracy in measurement and sewing is *very* important to get any of these to look right.  Given the tight time constraint, I knew I wouldn't be able to get it done.

So I chose to do a simple pintuck across the bottom an inch above the hem.  To make things easier (so I thought), I decided to pintuck the fabric (a light-weight denim) first and then cut the pieces out of that.

Not.  Even.  Close.  I don't have pictures because...well...Halloween is over.

Trying to pintuck fabric that is 60 inches wide is just not a good idea so I scrapped it.  In fact, I'm not even motivated to make an A-line skirt anymore.  Sad-but-relieved face.  My heart is just not in it.  

So I'm not going to participate in the contest.  Sure I could make a simple and well-constructed skirt, but I probably won't enjoy the process because my true intention is not there.  It's actually a good thing because I don't want the pressure of a deadline at this time of the year.  We have exams next week and my duty as a caregiver just got remarkably more difficult.  Sewing (when I actually sit down to do it) is my outlet and I don't want to ruin what little sewjo I have!

Speaking of aint-got-time-for-that... 

  
I am totally over it.  It's a wadder and trashed!

L


18 comments:

  1. Well I am always up for dumping a non-working project and can't quite understand forcing myself to finish something that is giving me the blues. So SO-LONG stubborn purple shirt! Ahhhh.

    I saw that A-line skirt thing and said, welp. I'm out. I don't want to be told what to sew right now. nope. Nope. Nope.

    So what's next? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, as soon as I posted about that purple shirt, I tossed it. =) The wrinkles were relentless and not worth the hassle.

      Up next: I'm going to finish the other purple shirt, try the other New Look shirt pattern again (with an adjustment to the front panel), and catalog all of my fabric. O_o

      Delete
  2. Yup, I was also considering participating, but then saw "A-line skirt with a waistband" and thought "Nope." I've got too many other things I want to work on right now, and sewing an A-line skirt when we're in the middle of two weeks of rain and temperatures in the 50's is totally unappealing right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all in at first. Meh. I want to finish what I already started and move on to making other stuff.

      Delete
  3. Feel your pain with your shirt. I looked at the sewing bee contest but thought why make something I don't want to make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Life's too short.

      Delete
    2. Exactly! I emptied Area 51 Tuesday night. I didn't realize I had so many hangers. lol

      Delete
  4. Moving forward...can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And not looking back! Thanks Vanessa. =)

      Delete
  5. Always good to get the wadder in the bin and behind you. I saw the contest too, and when I saw A Line skirt, I thought no way, that's not even interesting.

    Now, what you must do is take a deep breath, and hands into the patterns and pull out something that gets your sewing motivation back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. The second purple shirt is going much better than the wadder. I need to add the facing, sleeves, hem, and buttonholes. We have exams next week, so once those are over I'll have a bit more time and energy to devote to finishing the top.

      Delete
    2. That is what is needed - I find when I am distracted that I make mistakes too.

      Delete
  6. Yep....ain't nobody got time for that. I would never in a million years wear an A line skirt let alone make one. It just doesn't suit my body shape. Maybe we're not really twins after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. We're totally twins! Anyone else who watches ACI as much as me had to be separated at birth. =)

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear the wadder is in the bin, we just have to do that at times. Like you what is it with the waistband, come on we can all do more with a skirt than a waistband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I thought about taking an existing skirt and adding a waistband. It didn't inspire me at all. I want to enjoy the projects on which I am working. I will say that some folks on PR are coming up with some interesting skirts.

      Delete
  8. Hope your exams and caregiving situation go well. Glad to see you are choosing to follow your own interests. I like to see the skills demonstrated on the British show, but I wouldn't feel creative making something I didn't want to wear either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anna Christina. I'm trying to remain positive. Fooling with this skirt was definitely not adding to the positivity. =) I'm curious to see if the same projects will be required on PR's version. The first thing the GBSB folks had to make as an A-line skirt.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...