07 December 2014

Can This Fabric Be Saved?

In a spin-off of Kyle's Can This Garment Be Saved? series, I am asking this very question about some fabric.  Lots of it.

When in the midst of counting my stash, I thought it was a good idea to prewash the washables.   Yeah, well, maybe that wasn't such a good idea after all.  I washed and dried the cotton shirtings, but I failed to remove some of the fabric from the dryer in time.  



Sigh.

The fabric is a rather stiff 100% cotton that I purchased from Joann's years ago.  It's like cardboard, but more consistent in weight with the fabric that I used in my first successful view of this pattern.

The photo on the left shows the side front and much steaming, pressing, and using the clapper.  I attempted to use spray starch, but the can is so old, the stuff just oozed out of the nozzle.  Besides spray starch vapors make me nauseous.  The photo on the right is the back, but without the extra steaming and pressing. 

Below is my fourth attempt at making this blouse.  The fabric is also cotton, but not nearly as stiff.  The wrinkles are still there, but they're not as visible.


I haven't worked on the first teal shirt any more; the wrinkles are too visible.  The bottom one has potential.  I'm going to assemble the back and test the first before I proceed.

I washed and dried all of my cotton shirtings.  Can they be saved?  Have I ruined the fabric by permanently setting in wrinkles?  Will washing them again remove the wrinkles?

What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I wish I could answer this one, but I can't. I would suggest you just try washing and see what happens. Use a fabric conditioner as well - that might soften the cotton a bit. I don't know if ironing when slightly damp would help, but you could try that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try ironing it with a damp cloth over the top. Can't guarantee but could give it a try in an inconspicuous place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say give it the Disney treatment....Let It Go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. go ahead & finish & then wash & hang dry to see if that will make a difference, but if you choose to let it go , then let it go & don't look back! lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing you asked... I think it's time to let anything that doesn't wash up well or sew well go. Give it to charity. Or something. Then the best quality you can find. Warning - there will be no turning back. It will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, my blog series has its own spinoff? How cool is that?

    I agree with KMQ, let it go. Do you really want to steam etc every single time you wear that garment?

    ReplyDelete
  7. L, there's some sort of vinegar treatment that would remove even the hard permanent pressed folds Like hems, in garment... So these wrinkles can be made to go away... Let me see if I can dig it up for you..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...