17 January 2015

2014 Sewing Year in Review

Despite making 35 garments this year, I don't feel as if I sewed that much.  

(not pictured:  Simplicity 2365, Jalie 2908 skinified, and New Look 6274 ikat print)

The Stats (includes wadders)

By garment:
  • 18 tops
  • 5 jackets
  • 6 skirts
  • 3 pairs of pants (2 are wadders)
  • 2 pairs of jeans
  • 1 coat
By company:
  • 2 McCall's
  • 5 Kwik Sew
  • 5 Simplicity
  • 9 New Look
  • 1 BWOF
  • 1 Indygo Junction
  • 8 from RTW
  • 4 Jalie

Favorites
Indygo Junction 740: This pattern is at the top of the list for the second year in a row.  I made it back in June because (a) I really liked the fabric and (b) it was my entry to the outerwear contest on PR.  Not only do I truly love wearing this coat, I won second place in the contest.  Squee! 

Kwik Sew 2895: This is a surprise second favorite.  After meeting Valerie in Australia last year, I knew I had to have a denim jacket like hers.  Even though I bought the same pattern (Butterick 5616), I sewed the Kwik Sew instead.  I can't tell you how much I adore this thing!  It's my go-to topper and can be paired with a dress, skirt, jeans, or trousers.  I've worn it so much, I'm afraid it might start falling apart.

McCall's 6654:  Everything about this pattern is awesome sauce.  There are only three pieces and can be made from cut to hem in under two hours.  You can probably make it in less time, but I give myself room for error.  Lots of error. 

BWOF 11-2009-125: I can't leve off the funky bells.  Bell-bottoms may be oh-so-70s, but I'm rockin' 'em anyway. 


Jalie 2559: This will always be my blazer staple; I made it three times in 2014!  I will branch off and try other jacket patterns, but I know that if I get frustrated I can always return to this TNT.  

Wadders
I'm getting much better at picking patterns that suit my body, but fabric selection still needs some work.  I learned that I don't like stretch cotton poplin that much and not all rayon-poly-lycras are created equal.  I don't have many photos because I was bad at documenting the failures.  I think it's helpful to talk about wins and losses and will get better at it this year.

UFOs carried into 2015
McCall's 5525 (trench coat) and New Look 6407 (button-front blouse) will be finished this year.  I don't remember what stopped me on the trench coat, but I am so close to being done it would be criminal to not finish!  The New Look blouse just needs the collar, buttonholes, and hem. 

2014 Sewing Intention Results
  • Continue to shop the stash:  Done and done.  Fabric is still everywhere, but I used considerably more stash this year than in previous years.
  • Work on a full-length winter coat:  Nerp.  Gotta add this to the 2015 list.
  • Make a trench coat:  See section titled "UFOs carried into 2015."
  • Go fabric light:  Let's call this one a tie.
  • Sew a woven button-front blouse:  Win!  Not only did I make and wear New Look 6407, I learned how to convert a two-darted bodice to shoulder princess seams.  I see many more versions of this one in the future.  

Stashbusting Challenge 2014
Last January, I made a pledge to use at least 30 pieces of stash fabric and 10 patterns.  I used 34 pieces of stash totaling 48.5 yards and 7 patterns.  Another win!  The pledge is definitely on for 2015. This time, I am committing to using 50 pieces of stash and 10 patterns.

2015 Sewing Intentions
  • Sew exclusively from the stash and not buy fabric:  This will be a challenge!
  • Make a full-length super warm and tailored winter coat:  I have the supplies and traced the pattern.  I need to get my mind in coat mode and make the muslin.
  • Make a bra:  I keep putting this off every year.  Shopping for bras is worse than shopping for shoes and I really have to get on this!
  • Start from Scratch:  The Vivienne Files has a whole series on how to build a wardrobe using a selected color palette.  I watched Sharon (Petite and Sewing) build hers from beginning to end and love how she was able to create such a diverse wardrobe.  I really want to update my "look" and think this is a good place to start.  To see the evolution of Sharon's wonderful wardrobe, click on "Starting from Scratch" in her blog labels area.
  • Sew one BWOF magazine pattern per month:  This will also be a challenge since "oooo shiny" seems to dominate my sewing interest.  
So that's it for the 2014 year in review.  I would like to thank everyone who reads my ramblings.  Again I am very grateful to be a part of this community of people who like to share their passion for sewing. 

I wish everyone a wonderful new year!  

L

18 comments:

  1. Wow - you certainly did a lot of sewing. Love what you made and your faves are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little late replying here! Thanks BeaJay!

      Delete
  2. I love your denim jacket ; the Indygo Junction coat is a standout and it sounds like you learnt a lot from your misses. What's more you've just inspired me to blog about my most recent 'miss'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally have you to thank for the denim jacket. =) I am trying to get better at showing the hits and misses. When a project is on the verge of failing, I chuck it and move on. I don't always think to blog about it, but the information could be helpful to others.

      Delete
  3. Somehow I totally missed your contest win--that is another great IJ coat!! Congratulations on your win!
    And I love your jean jacket--somehow I missed that one too. I want to make a jean jacket too, in a color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kyle! I am definitely making another version of the KS jacket. I wear it quite a bit.

      Delete
  4. 35 garments is plenty, and especially when so many involved substantial amounts of work - jackets, jeans, coats! I think 2014 was a terrific sewing year for you, and hope 2015 is even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know about the contest win either - congrats. It certainly is a lovely coat. What a great sewing year you had, considering there was a lot of life as well. Love the flares - apparently they are in for next summer. The jean jacket is great - I'm going to have to make one as well one day. Awesome goals for 2015 - I agree, learning what suits is a big part of the puzzle - as well as learning what you like to make and what fabrics you like to work in. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! Even though it's not warm enough for winter wear, it's a great transitional-weather coat and I love it. If you can get a copy of the KS pattern, I recommend it.

      After 10 years of sewing (!!), I am finally getting to know what works and doesn't work for my body type.

      Delete
  6. You had such an awesome year,35 garments, wow! I loved. loved your jean jacket..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your coat deserved to win, it looks amazing. With the year you have just had you have had an amazing year of sewing. Thanks for the mention about the Starting from Scratch, trying to work on my pieces but some striped fabric has demanded my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! This has been quite a trying year, but I'm happy with the clothes I made. I am definitely on board with Starting from Scratch. My wardrobe is all over the place and I would like to make it more coordinated. Thank you for sharing your journey.

      Delete
  8. Making 35 garments is a lot in my book! Congratulations on your win for the coat. And I love your jean jacket. I will have to get that Kwik Sew pattern. You have made some beautiful pieces. I love your sense of style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! If you can find the KS pattern, definitely pick it up. It's drafted quite well and fits nicely with few adjustments.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you Adrienne! I'm always watching what you make/wear and picking up tips from you.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...