05 February 2015

Starting from Scratch: Color Schemes

Has anyone ever taken the time to read some of the posts on The Vivienne Files?  I've been a long time lurker and have acquired a new appreciation for how to create wardrobes.  Janice (owner and writer of TVF) has a remarkable eye for style and works some serious magic to put together the coolest outfits.

Last summer, Janice wrote a series of posts on how to build a coordinated wardrobe from scratch.  The series is titled Starting From Scratch and provides step-by-step instructions how to do this.  

I followed Sharon's (Petite and Sewing) progress through SFS and was in awe at how she was able to turn 24 garments into almost 400 outfits.  To see her final reveal, click here.

You know where this is going, right? I am going to follow the steps and build a new wardrobe of coordinating outfits using the SFS posts.  

The primary step is to pick a color scheme.  Janice suggests working with five colors:  two neutrals, two accents, and a white or cream that can be used as blouses or t-shirts.

I have a lot of black and light-to-medium grey in my stash, so those are the neutrals I'm using in this first wardrobe.  (Yeah, I plan on doing this twice!)  

At first my accents were teal and purple.  But then I thought I had too many dark colors.  So I ditched the purple and went with yellow instead.  I'll use white or off white for blouses/t-shirts.


These colors seem a little strong, but I'm going to roll with it anyway.  I'm actually excited to see how this all plays out!

Next up is step 1: a nice pair of pants in one of the primary colors.  I worked on this over the weekend and am almost finished.  The waistband is kind of wonky, so I'm thinking of taking it off and starting over.  I hope to have details soon.  It's exam time and I won't have much time to sew next week.

Until next time, peace!

L

15 comments:

  1. I love your concise breakdown here - great concept. I think these colours will look fantastic on you - and won't look out of place with your teals either.

    Those pesky exams will soon be over..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like the colors and hope I can put together a good looking set of clothes.

      Ugh. Exams. I won't even get into that. I'm already burned out!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I'm looking forward to following your progress with this. I like those colors a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Michelle! The sewjo was on fire last weekend in anticipation of what's to come.

      Delete
  3. Now you are putting me to shame already, my sewing mojo has gone and well pants, that is another story.

    I can't wait to see how your wardrobe comes together, I think the colours are you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! I hope your sewjo comes back soon! As for pants, I settled for 'good enough' with fit. I was so frustrated after many tries that I had to be okay with someone or I'd never wear them. Keep at it!

      Delete
  4. Teal & purple?? Twin! But I can't do yellow. ;)

    I have 2 wardrobes in my..well..wardrobe. One is aqua and purple; the other is red/black/white/grey. Sometimes there's a crossover with the grey and black and purple. But not often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's uncanny really. We have so much in common! You had me at binge-watching ACI!

      Delete
  5. Oh & forgot to ask. Have you had your colours done? Do you know what is "supposed" to suit you? Or even if you're a high, medium or low contrast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had my colors done. I've read some articles about colors that are supposed to suit my complexion, but I don't like most of the suggestions. I just stick with colors I like.

      Delete
  6. I did read the Viv files and was super impressed with Sharon's wardrobe, I am slowly building mine and look forward to seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't her wardrobe great?

      Oh this is going to be several months in the making for me. I want to make sure I sew good quality clothes and acquire good accessories. We can do this together. =)

      Delete
  7. I too seem to wear similar colours, so I will stay tuned to see your results, bookmarked TVF thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh - I love the color combos. I look forward to seeing your creations in these colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty combination of colors and looking forward to your collection.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...