10 February 2015

Starting From Scratch: Pants & Shoes

Steps 1 and 2 of the SFS series involve finding a nice pair of good-fitting pants and comfortable shoes.  I made Kwik Sew 2960 last year and really liked the fit, so I used that pattern as my base for this first step.



Hmm.  So I got the top of my head, but not my feet.  Oops.

The fabric is black rayon poly lycra from the stash.  I bought many yards of this in different colors when a certain store had a mega sale.  I fell off the wagon in January and bought even more.  The fabric is good quality and has nice stretch and recovery.  These pictures were taken after a full day of work.  The legs are a little baggy, but definitely wearable.

The nice thing about this pattern is that there are four pieces:  front, back, waistband, and fly shield.  What's not to love?!  Like the SASSSG, I can probably sew these in a day.  Unlike the SASSSG, it is almost guaranteed to take me longer.  The waistband on this pair was all kinds of evil.  I took it off, cut a new waistband, and still hate it.  Something is wonky with the part where it meets the zipper.  I already removed the waistband once - not doing it again. =)

Since my SFS color scheme includes grey, I made a second pair out of another rayon-poly-lycra stretch suiting.  This fabric is SO nice.  Though it's a bit heavier than the black RPL, it sews, presses, and hangs beautifully.

Oddly enough, I didn't encounter any problems with the waistband on this pair.  I don't have the wonky zipper issue either and this is a heavier fabric.  Hmm.  Must be user error.

 

Look at that break on the shoes!  This is why I love sewing.  RTW pants would NOT hang like this on me.  Though the hem doesn't touch the ground, I'll make a slightly deeper hem next time.

Fabric & Notions:
  • 2 yards RPL stretch suiting (x 2)
  • 7" nylon zipper (x 2)
  • non-stretch weft interfacing
  • 80/12 universal needle
  • serger and regular sewing machine
Construction:   I finished the edges of the pieces first with the serger, sewed the seam, and pressed them open to reduce bulk.  The back crotch seam is sewn and serged together for strength.  I hemmed both pair using the blind hem setting on my machine.
 
Conclusion:  This is my TNT pattern for stretch wovens.  I've already worn both pair to work and love how comfortable they are.  
 
***
 
Step 2 of the series is to get a nice pair of comfortable flat shoes.  2 out of 3 ain't bad, right?  The shoes I'm wearing are nice and flat, but comfortable?  Not so much.  After doing a lot of research, I spent a pretty penny on these shoes only to have my feet hurt after about an hour.  I need more arch support so that the balls of my feet aren't so sore.  Sigh.  The search continues.
 
Step 3 is to add a cardigan and tee-shirt in the primary neutral color.  So I'm working on a muslin for a BWOF cardigan in black wool jersey and a simple black tee-shirt out of cotton interlock.  I'm super busy this week, so I don't know how much sewing I'll get done.

Until next time, peace!

27 comments:

  1. I really like the fit of these pants on you. I've had the pattern in stash since last year and must find time to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faye. Give it a go for sure. I find fabric with about 25% stretch works well.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new pants look great. Congratulations on your creating a tnt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up! lol!!! :)

    I love these. And you're right, that break is awesome and so hard to get perfectly from RTW. Kudos!

    I need nice "flat" shoes too. I have an insanely high arch and true flats are so NOT comfortable. There has to be some type of support. Hopefully you find some good ones soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still amaze me sewing 2,394 things in one month.

      My arches are high as well and shopping for shoes is always a chore.

      Delete
  5. Great-looking pants! The fit is beautiful. Between these and your various Jalie jeans, you are a pant goddess. BTW--I have flat feet, too, and my go-to shoe brands are Keen and Asics (Asics for any kind of tennis shoe or sneaker). Some Keen styles are a bit granola-y, but they're not all like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! I always buy Asics for running. I've not tried Keen yet. I wore my Eccos out and now have SAS. The SAS have potential if I can find the right support.

      Delete
  6. Nice job! I wouldn't shorten the pant much, if at all. The longer hem elongates your leg line and looks very nice :) I just bought a pair of comfy flat shoes, but need to make some pants...shopping was easier for me than sewing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! I hadn't thought about how the length makes my legs look longer. Thanks for mentioning that! I'm still on the hunt for some comfy flat shoes.

      Delete
  7. Great pants; how wonderful to have a TNT - that's on my goal list for 2015. Sally McGraw (Already Pretty) just tweeted that barkingdogshoes.com has just posted a review of 7 pairs of flats with arch support (Earthies, Keen, Mephisto and Olukai in the mix) - have a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. Great suggestions! Thank you TinaLou. I used to read Already Pretty, though I haven't been there in a while. I'll definitely check out the review.

      Delete
  8. These pants are great - I need to make me some more one day. I do like your concept of starting again - I should too. Why not, as you go along, rummage through the wardrobe to find bits that go with the new wardrobe.

    Shoes - it sounds as though your feet are as hard to fit as mine - shoes often feel okay, and a few days later, the shoes are breaking my feet in, not the other way around. Tedious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were the inspiration my friend! As for SFS, I picked this color combination because I have a couple of pieces that can be a part of the wardrobe. What I lack is accessories.

      I am with you on the shoe issue. The last pair I bought felt like heaven in the store. I wore them on a carpeted surface for two hours and my feet were not happy. Ugh.

      Delete
  9. Great fit on this pants. Some of us have to work around the mid section. I'm a girl of the 70's and yes we like those pants at the perfect length.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are darn fine pants. Love the look of them and they fall so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking pants and you are on your way with your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee-hee, thanks Sharon! I'm kinda stuck now. I hope to get back on board soon.

      Delete
  12. the pants looks great! I've gotta come out of the elastic band box lol!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Step away from the elastic! Stretch fabric is the new elastic. Bwahaha.

      Delete
  13. I really like the fit of these pants L! I really like any woven fabric that has a little stretch in it...makes for a great fit! You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...