02 March 2015

BWOF 9-2005-103 (cardigan): Complete

Am I the only one who won't let go of the title Burda World of Fashion?  

I finished the cardi on Saturday and am totally meh about it.

 

I like it on the dress form, but not so much on me.  Something is off about the way it hangs in the front and the overall length is too short.  

I have to snap some photos of me wearing it.  Constructive criticism is welcomed; I want to know what went wrong.

I really REALLY love the curve in the raglan sleeve. It's sooooo sexy - well as sexy as a sleeve seam can be. 


Sewing the cardigan was simple - except for when it came time to finish the back neckline.  The "instructions" (or whatever Burda wants to call this collection of letters and punctuation) say to cut a rectangle of a certain size, fold it in half, and do something with it.  

The rectangle was wrong - just wrong.  It's too narrow and doesn't connect AT ALL with the front facing.  Instinct told me to trace along the neckline pattern piece and create a proper facing.  

I did not listen.


See that?  Foolishness!  The inner pin is the width of the back rectangle wtfery and the line of my coverstitching.  The outer pin is the edge of the facing. I should have stuck with my instincts and did it the right-er way.  There isn't even enough room to add vertical buttonholes or snaps.  Oh well.

Fabric & Notions
  • 1.625 yards of wool knit
  • stretch interfacing (crosswise only)
  • 75/11 stretch needle
  • regular sewing machine and serger
Seam Allowances/Fitting:  I added 3/4" seam allowances to all vertical bodice and sleeve seams.  I read somewhere that the sleeves were tight.  I sewed using 1/2" seams and found everything to feel alright.  I did not make an FBA.  I removed 1" from the waist (swayback adjustment) and added this length to the them to make sure the side seams were the same.

Construction:  I sewed all the seams using a straight stitch and finished them together on the serger.  Though I used a straight stitch, the seam had plenty of stretch.  

Conclusion:  I don't know if I'll wear it or not.  I think it'll spend some time in the magic closet for a while first.

***

Starting from Scratch Progress

Step 1:  nice pair of pants in neutral - check
Step 2:  shoes in neutral - check
Step 3:  cardigan and tee both in neutral - check and almost-check
Step 4:  jeans and a shirt - in progress

Until I figure out the cardi situation, I will substitute my black Simplicity cardigan (2603) for step 3.

Palate cleanser:


That's all for now.  Until next time, be well!

16 comments:

  1. How I love that jeans are a palette cleanser! :)

    It's cute hanging. Would like to see it in. Sometimes the magic closet helps and other times...

    Also, this post was hilariously awesome. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee-hee. Thank you! Jalie 2908 is my TNT and can just sew it right up.

      I will definitely get a pic with me wearing the cardi. I hope to have the jeans finished before Friday and will try it on then.

      Delete
  2. Love your take on the BWOF instructions and such a pity that the cardigan isn't working for you. Hope to see you wearing it soon so we can try and help.

    Now your palette cleanser looks pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I am slow with photographing myself. My camera/tripod set up and I aren't bonding well at the moment. =)

      Delete
  3. Yes, the instincts are sometimes right - I'm not in awe of some of Burda's ideas. And sometimes it just makes plain sense to do something that you will know will work. I'm like you though - sometimes I follow instructions blindly just to see what the pattern companies take on the garment is, and sometimes I don't (and should have done!).

    A pity your don't like this, because it looks great on the dummy. It's quite a different style to your usual - is that part of the problem - sometimes we need to adjust to new ideas, and sometimes we need to ditch them. Or maybe it needs to be worn with something else.

    Enjoy the palette cleanse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. I don't normally wear structured cardigans and the look is something different for me. I should have followed my initial thoughts about the back neckline.

      Delete
  4. Only you would do jeans as a palette cleanser. I like your cardi. Shame you are not happy with ti. Love the skirt and recognise the fabric......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love me some jeans. =)

      This fabric makes me happy and reminds me of good times in Cabramatta. I will wear this skirt until the fabric is bare and shredding!

      Delete
  5. Such a shame you are not happy with the cardi, it looks great especially with the skirt etc. Still havent attempted my jean pattern yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now you must start on this jeans pattern! Really, jeans are not difficult to construct. If you've made a pair of fly-front trousers, you can definitely sew jeans. Come on Louise!

      Delete
  6. The cardigan looks great especially with the skirt. It took me some time getting use to wearing cardigans, being that I wore structured suits for so long. Just wear it around the house and you will get a better feel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks good on the mannequin. Maybe the others are right and that you're just not used to it. I bet it is nice and snuggly to wear. Those are some great looking jeans. I love that pattern too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still can't get over that jeans are your palette cleanser. I really want to make another pair of jeans. Maybe I should just go for it. bwah ha ha ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Kyle... palette cleanser? You're a maniac. The cardi looks good on the dressform, but you know what your gut says. Might be the "super sensitive sewing eye" in action (mine goes into overdrive, so I know the "meh" feeling), you should wear it out and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. May be you should let it hang for sometime and go back and try it on, you might be surprised. its so lovely on your dress form....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this Cardi! I think you should try it with different styles. I'm looking to make a few of these shorter type Cardis for the office and for casual. I agree with you letting it hang in the magic closet for a while until you become comfortable with it. However, try this look...if you have an oversize tank/tunic that hangs lower than the jacket, along with your favorite pair of jeans. It may just give you a different perspective of the Cardi.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...