28 April 2015

Welcome the Newest Visitors to Wadderville

I call them "visitors" because there may be hope.  Maybe.  For now, they both need lots and lots of time in Narnia - one step beyond the magic closet.

First up is the BWOF trench skirt (8-2009-107).  This has so much fail and it's all because of the fabric.  It's just too heavy for this pattern.  I am bummed about this too because I bought the fabric initially for a jacket.  I should have stuck with my original plan.  Oh well.

It looks horrible on me, so dress form pics are all I have.  The skirt is pinned to the form and so are the buttons.  


Given that I shortened the pattern 1", I probably should have repositioned the diagonal topstitching so that it was proportional.

The hem is turned under twice and topstitched.  With the fabric being so thick, I can't get the pleats to lie flat.  I could unpick the hem and lop some shit off, but I don't feel like it right now.

The instructions aren't that bad if you read them slowly and a few times.  The word maze sort of works itself out in the mind and it starts to actually make sense.

I'll definitely sew the skirt again, but in a much lighter-weight fabric.

Next is the very ambitious interlined eyelet button-front blouse, Simplicity 4077.  This pattern has been in and out of the rotation for...hmm...six years or so.  I made the FBA, but did not like how the darts looked.  So I converted both the front and back darts to princess seams and got the fit that I like.

Unfortunately, something is still off about this version.  Because the eyelets are rather big, I decided to underline each piece with a light-weight cotton batiste.  This thing feels like a suit of armor and I haven't even put in the sleeves or ruffles.  


Meh.  I have no motivation to finish it.

I had high hopes for both garments, but alas, it is not to be...for now at least.

I want to sew something, but my sewjo is on hiatus in the worst way.  I don't even feel like sewing a pair of jeans.  =/  

I'm in a funk inside and outside of the sewing room; I hope the tide will turn soon.

L





16 comments:

  1. It's hard to put all that work in and not be happy. I've also had times when I changed my mind about plans for a particular fabric then regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but at least I have an idea of what kind of fabric works best with this pattern. And I was able to decipher Burda's instructions. That's a win right there! =)

      Delete
  2. What a pity about both of these garments - I think that if a second layer makes the top too heavy, I would just wear it over a camisole. But I suppose you have sewn the second layer in - you wrote underlined. Pity. Would it work as a jacket, or are both these projects just right for the bin. I do that sometimes, especially when a bit low, and try and toss my mood out as well:). Sort of a dewadding and demooding ritual. Semester end may getting you down too - soon be over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the shirt is totally underlined. At least it doesn't have the weird armhole issue that I noticed before. I re-cut the side front pieces and the fit is much better. I might return to it later.

      My mood has been all over the place lately. The end of school definitely helped, but I am under pressure to make huge decisions and I've stalled. =/

      Delete
  3. I have some wadders I've been thinking about doing something else for over a year, I think I should just toos them & be done lol! just put them out of your sight for a while & see if that helps, it looks liek a really nice pattern

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cleaned out Area 51 a few weeks ago and have three things in it now: the trench coat, and the two newest members. I had a jacket in there that was nearing 10 years old! It's in the scrap pile for anyone who wants to finish it. =)

      Delete
  4. How frustrating to have fabric conflicting with the patterns and not like your results. I hate when that happens and I usually try sewing something super easy and quick to get my mojo back. I'm sorry to hear about the funk and hope that with the warmth and sunshine returning to the northern hemisphere the funk melts away soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm bummed about it. As I was cutting it out, I knew it was a mistake to use this fabric; I forged on anyway. Now I can't find the fabric anymore. Oh well. =)

      Thank you for your kind words. *hugs*

      Delete
  5. Wish I could help but jeans got me out of my funk. I know how you feel, I have a dress and top that just aren't going to make it for various reasons, it can really muck up the sewjo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. The sewjo seems to have a mind of its own - showing up and leaving whenever it sees fit. =)

      Delete
  6. I feel you!!! Wadders have a way of putting us in a funk for quite sone tine trust me, I know!! Just put it aside and think about all the pretty summer things you have waiting for you to create and wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee-hee, that's another thing. There are so many things I want to sew for summer, I am stuck! I never was the indecisive type; this is new for me!

      Delete
  7. I'm a newbie to all this Patten sewing and really enjoy your blog... thank you for being so honest! I hope you get out of your funk... I think when things go wrong its sometimes easier to wall away for a while until you can return refreshed! I wanted to comment on your mannequin....I notice that you have put your bra on it... what a brilliant idea! I didn't think it was worth getting one as I am somewhat curvy but your solution is great! Please can you let me know how you get the shape... do you just stuff the cups with wadding? Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona. Thank you for stopping by and reading my ramblings. =) The funk comes and goes and takes the sewjo with it sometimes.

      Thank you for your comments about the dress form. I used an old sports bra that was too big and stuffed it with polyfil (inside of plastic bags). To pad out the rest of the dress form, I bought the Fabulous Fit system (http://www.fabulousfit.com/) and added the pads to mimic my curves. It's not a perfect fit, but it gives me a basic idea of how the garment will look on my body during construction.

      The system came highly recommended from Kyle of Vacuuming the Lawn. She bought the system and wrote a post on how she padded out her dress form to match her body. I think hers is spot on.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm investigating dress forms now and will get stuffing my bra and padding my tummy!

      Delete
  8. I love that you are still using the LSO method! lol Hope things are going well for you! We're good here. Will be up next week.

    -T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...