I just haven't taken the time to get photos of me wearing it or the other things I made recently. I will eventually.
Fabric & Notions
- little more than 1.5 yards of wool tweed-like fabric
- 1.5 yards of black ambiance lining
- 20-inch metal separating zipper
- six metal buttons
- fusible interfacing
- muslin scrap for back stay
- bias-cut fleece strips for sleeve heads
- 80/12 universal needle (shell); 70/10 microtex needle (lining)
- sewing machine and serger
Simplicity's multi-cup patterns, on the other hand, seem to agree with my curves much better. I started with a size 16 D cup and made the following minor adjustments:
- lowered bust fullness 1 inch on the front and side front panels
- 1 inch sway back adjustment
- shortened the sleeves 1.5 inches between the notches
The only thing is the neckline is a little wide when zipped. The front stands away from my neck, but since I'll never wear it zipped, it's not a big deal.
Zipper Length: One note about choosing a zipper. The envelope suggests an 18-inch zipper for all cup sizes. This is ridiculous since each cup size increases the length of the seam over the bust. Fortunately, the only zipper Joann had at the time was a 20-inch zipper and it turned out to be the perfect length. So if you make this jacket and need a larger cup size, make sure to increase the length of the zipper.
Construction: Sewing the jacket was pretty straight forward. My only worry was the vented sleeve with mitred corners. Since I never did anything like that before, I was nervous. Hah. I channeled my inner crafty chemist and just went for it.
I wish I took pictures. The mitred corners were PERFECT. My button sewing? Not so much. Meh, that's how it goes.
I added my usual light-tailoring techniques: fused interfacing to whole front, added back stay, and sleeve heads. I should have interfaced the hems, but I didn't. They're not as crisp as they can be. I'll do it next time.
Instructions: The instructions were fairly straightforward. If you're sewing the zippered-front version and have attached the lining, skip the foolishness that is this step:
Leave an opening in the jacket hem to turn right side out. Slipstitch opening.
With other jacket patterns, this (or some variation) makes total sense. But in this view, the center front and front facing are sewn last with the zipper which leaves a big ass gaping hole for you to turn the jacket right side out. So much NO.
Conclusion: Despite how long it took me to finish the jacket, I enjoyed sewing it and definitely plan to make it again. It can be worn with jeans or a skirt and I kinda like not having a collar.
In this weirdly tiny photo, the jacket is shown with McCall's 6078 (knit cowl neck top) and New Look 6809 (OOP skirt).
These pieces are part of my what-appears-to-be-a-year-long Starting from Scratch wardrobe-building project. I've made several pieces for the project and will post an update with the completed pieces soon. I need to make a black tee shirt and that's proving to be way harder than I expected.
Until next time, peace!