I separated the lining from the facing two inches up from the hem and still cannot get rid of the horrible pulling. The right side (shown above) is not nearly as bad as the left side. The lining is no longer attached to the hem and is left to hang loose.
I've made three lined coats and three lined jackets. I've never seen anything like this before.
It seems as if the front is longer than the front facing. When I pulled up the front and pinned it, the pulling somewhat disappeared.
I carefully measured every seam line on the front, front facing, and lining and found one discrepancy of 1/2". Everything else was pretty close with a margin of error of 1/8" - surely not enough to cause this much trouble. Right?
I didn't use steam when fusing the interfacing, so I don't think shrinkage is the culprit. Plus, interfacing is fused to both the front and front facing. If the interfacing is to blame, it seems like both pieces would suffer the same fate.
The coat fabric was pre-washed, dried, and steam pressed prior to cutting the pattern. My wool jackets were only steam pressed and the other three coats weren't pretreated at all. This problem is a mystery.
So off to the magic closet it goes. After some considerable time off from this coat, I'll go back and reattach the facing-lining unit by taking out that excess fabric near the collar.
I momentarily considered removing the lining completely and replacing it with some Ambiance rayon. But, I'm not comfortable with discarding this lining...yet. It matches the vision in my head and I can't shake that image.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've started working on fall clothes since that seems to be lacking right now.
Until next time, peace!