07 September 2015

Another New Look 6407

This makes four this year!

At the end of August, I started sewing a black version of this pattern to go with my Starting from Scratch wardrobe.  Then I saw the rules for the PR Sewing Bee.  Sew a fitted blouse?  For real?  

Not only did I already have the pattern pieces out, the fabric was pre-washed last year.  Score!  

The first change I made was to raise the neckline one inch.  This top is quite low-cut and puts the girls on full display.  Unless I'm wearing a jacket, I have to wear a camisole with it.  Raising the neckline solved this problem.

The first three versions all have cap sleeves and I wanted long sleeves.  I made a one-half inch bicep adjustment and did not make a muslin.  Nope.  Nada.  I just went for it.


The sleeve looks snug, but it isn't.  I can lift my arms and reach forward without any problems.

I used Pro-WOVEN Shirt Crisp interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply.  This stuff is expensive compared to Pellon, but it is fantastic for giving nice structured collars and cuffs.


Speaking of cuffs...these joints were a pain to put together.  The opening was a fraction too small for my machine's free arm, so I had to sew very slowly and carefully.  Topstitching took some maneuvering, but eventually it worked out.


The shirt looks okay without a belt, but I'll probably wear one anyway.  Here I've paired it with a dark brown linen skirt, animal print belt, and scarf.  Good dark colors for fall.
 

Even though I love this pattern and have another one in the mix, I wish it had a separate front band instead of a facing.  I'm going to try and use the pattern pieces from this pattern to adjust those of Butterick 5678.

That's all for now.  Until next time, peace!
 
L

25 comments:

  1. Very nice...I would use this just for the cuffs. They are awesome. That Butterick is my best fitting shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea. I actually tried B5678 before and didn't get it to fit. I'll give it another try for sure.

      Delete
  2. Perfect fitting shirt and great colour for your wardrobe. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hah. SFS is definitely an on-going process.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous fitted shirt and a lovely job on the sleeves! But I agree with you that a separate band on a shirt makes it look that little bit more special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie. I really live the cuffs too. =) I really want a separate band so that I can try different pattern placements: bias and cross grain (for stripes). Alas, the search goes on.

      Delete
  4. Great job on the fit. A lovely shirt that will get lots of wear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely! It's cold enough to wear it now, too. =)

      Delete
  5. This outfit looks very put together. Love the cuffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I'll make it again just for the cuffs - maybe in a contrast color too. Hmm

      Delete
  6. Beautiful fit on this shirt. I like the way you've styled it with the belt and scarf. But it looks lovely without the belt as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa. =) I like that the shirt can be worn with browns, yellows, and other denim.

      Delete
  7. Sorry it has taken me a while to get to your blog - I have been away for six weeks (UK, Paris, Poland etc). My tablet refused to let me comment on anyone's blogs - so apologies for not commenting earlier. Love this blouse - this line of princess seaming is just the best to work with in my opinion. Love your fall styling options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries at all! I'm heading over to your spot to check out the details of the trip! Six weeks away sounds divine. =) Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I just saw on PR that you made it to week #2....no doubt in my mind that you would! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks! There were many fantastic entries. I'm happy to have moved on.

      Delete
  9. The blouse looks great on you ! I love that pattern and keep telling myself I need to make another one. The first is long gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, what are you waiting for?! This pattern is great! Thanks. =)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on making week #2! I can understand, why...this is a really nice blouse! I have that Butterick pattern and have not used it yet. I love the styling of it and don't understand why am so afraid of the pattern! I think it's the amount of detail and the time it will take me to make it. I like quick gratification projects lately! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra! The Butterick pattern has many of the same elements as my version of 6407, plus a button band. I don't think it will take too long to sew. The hardest part, for me, would be the collar and collar stand. And buttonholes. Gah. Making buttonholes can be so nerve-wracking.

      Delete
  11. What a nice combination of fabric and pattern. It looks like it fits beautifully. I agree with your thoughts about the band on the shirt, but that collar looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna Christina! When I'm done with my round 2 garment, maybe I'll dig out 5678 and make another muslin. That front band is calling me!

      Delete
  12. Just found your blog, very nice work :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...