27 September 2015

Catching Up...Again!

Where is the time going?!  It's almost October already?  Oy!

I've been doing some sewing, but not much blogging.  My intentions are good, but in reality...um...well.  Yeah. =)

Let's get on with the updates.  First I had the awesomest of awesome visitors to my house yesterday.  Kyle and Anne stopped by after attending the American Sewing Expo.  Their visit was pure joy!  I loved watching them raid my closet and try on the clothes I made!


Kyle is wearing New Look 6897 skirt and looking for more to try on!  Anne is wearing Jalie 2559 and looks fantastic!  The jacket fits her perfectly!  I tired on Anne's Motor City Express jacket and will probably sew that for Round 3 of the PR Sewing Bee - an experience about which I have yet to blog!  

Then came the big moment:  Kyle and Anne saw my sewing space and fabric stash!  Kyle had me laughing when she first entered the basement.  She had to stop and take it all in!!  LOL  Anne counted 31 bins of fabrc; I stopped counting after 24.  In my defense, one bin is full of lining, so that doesn't count.  Another bin is full of leather scraps.  So really, I only have 29 bins.  =)

We were treated to two demos by Kyle:  joining the edges of piping and inserting a zippered pocket - the prelude to making welt pockets. 

I asked about the piping because of this dirty little secret:


I knew there had to be a better way to make these ends neater.  Kyle showed us her process.


I took video of her process, but it appears to be too big to upload through Blogger.  When I use her technique (believe me I will!), I will try to explain it clearly.  It's genius!


She also showed us how to make zippered pockets.  Y'all know I have a fear of welt pockets and she and Anne both said if I can make a zippered pocket,  welt pockets were not that difficult.


I might push myself to add welt pockets to my upcoming jacket.  I have to do several practice pockets first before I cut into my fabric.  Good grief!

Anne and Kyle also brought gifts.  How sweet is that?!

Cute sewing tote from Anne.
Labels that point to the reality of my sewing from Kyle.

I had a great time with Anne and Kyle yesterday.  They were so much fun to have around and I laughed and learned a lot!  Thank you both for a wonderful day!

***

On the sewing front, I made some embellished jeans for the PR contest, am currently stumbling through a McCall's cardigan, and thinking about what to do for a lined jacket.  More soon!

Until next time, peace!

L

 

 

30 comments:

  1. Looks like am Awesome day had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oh I hope you'll show the piping tips soon . I love piping & it never comes together correctly :(
    Looks like such a fun day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Kyle posted a link to the tutorial on her most recent blog post. I plan to add some piping to my next project and will try her technique. I really enjoyed their visit.

      Delete
  3. I know how you feel. You looked like you were having fun. I would love the learn a better way of working with piping too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I let it go because no one sees the inside of the coats except maybe the dry cleaner. But I knew there was a better way. I'll take pictures as I sew along this time!

      Delete
  4. What a great visit! Now I'm curious about those 29 bins and what's in them?! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots and lots of retail therapy! LOL

      Delete
  5. FUN!!!!!!!!!

    I am so super jealous <3 Looks like you all had an awesome time. I'm surprised Anne didn't slip that blazer into her bag, it looks great on her!

    Soooo *only* 29 huh? hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SewCraftyChemist! She should probably look in the closet to make sure it is still there. Hehehe.

      Delete
    2. Yup. Oooooonly 29. Not counting the extra 3 of WTF-turned-muslin fabric. =) I had a blast. If I ever make it to Minne-snow-ta, I am DEFINITELY raiding your closet!

      Delete
    3. @Anna Christina: Hmm...my closet does seem a little light now. LOL

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had a great time. Wish I had been there with you gals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm beyond jealous and sad that I couldn't partake in the closet raiding and bin counting! So glad though that they were able to visit you and see "where the magic happens"! I feel pretty lucky knowing the 3 of you amazing, sweet, funny, and skilled sewing ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. I am very lucky to know everyone as well! There will be plenty of time for closet-raiding. I'm looking at both of you! I tried on some of Kyle's clothes when I visited in August. Methinks this should be a tradition when visiting the homes of sewing friends. =)

      Delete
  8. It was so ridiculously fun! Thank you for sharing your beautiful home and amazing wardrobe and sewing space with us. Lol, I don't know how you can disregard 2 bins. Lining is still fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome!

      Hey! My bins, my rules. LOL

      Delete
  9. I agree, I wish I could have joined you all too! Your stash sounds like one to definitely be envied!!! You have some wonderful buddies!!!! I am looking forward to hearing about joining the piping and too bad you couldn't uplload the video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day, Myra! The stash is out of control, yet I still contemplate adding more to it! Kyle posted a link to the tutorial she uses in her most recent post (ASE Recap). I will take pictures as I sew through my next project. As for the videos, I'm sure there is a way to edit them for size, but I haven't taken the time to research.

      Delete
  10. What a fantastic time - you deserve it. And 29 bins - presumably, largish bins? You are ahead of me, unless they are small bins. As I don't have a basement, meaning nowhere to stash such a wonderful quantity, you will have to stash on my behalf as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's not talk about bin size! Let's just say that I have enough to sew for eternity. Ok...maybe not eternity. I will gladly stash for you!! =)

      Delete
  11. It was sooooo much fun descending on your closet like locusts and trying on almost everything in there! Your home is lovely and visiting all the parts of your sewing room (the mirror! the linoleum! the fabric storage area!) was awesome! The visit to your house with Anne was my favorite part of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I enjoyed having you and Anne here. I think I had just as much fun watching you guys with my clothes. We should make this a tradition of visiting each other's homes. Tour and then closet-raiding!

      Delete
  12. Thoses are the moments that make sewing fun, sharing what youve sewn, and learning something new awe yeah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaaaaas! I couldn't agree more!

      Delete
  13. Wow! That sounds so much fun, L! :) nothing like a play date with good old sewing girlfriends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. I hope to visit you soon!!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...