26 October 2015

From Wadder to Wearable

About those Vogue pants...

I did something that I rarely, if ever, do.  I picked the entire garment apart, save for the zipper, pockets, and back princess seams.  Okay, so not the entire garment...but still.

o_O

Proof!  You can even see the picked serger threads.
I don't sew enough as it is.  To pick apart and re-sew something in which I have little interest is breaking new ground.  For real!  I have a huge bag full of 'meh' and UFOs ready to be donated to whoever wants to use the scraps.

Why did I do it this time?  I figured that with the wonderful suggestions left in the comments, I would have to cut another muslin and check the fit.  Why bother with that when I already have a 'meh' garment headed to the donation pile? 

So there I sat, picking every serger and sewing machine stitch whilst watching Project Runway's Edmund piss away his dreams on a red carpet hoochie dress.  Bruh!

I digress.


Before and after:


I still have some tweaking to do, but this is miles better than before. The after picture (on the right) has some whiskers on the front because the waistband isn't attached.

Vogue 9032 has waaaaay less fullness below the hip.  Below is a comparison of the pieces:

 center back; upper and lower halves
 9032 on top of 2921

I don't know why the pattern in the second piece looks crooked.  I didn't press the pattern pieces (bad sewer), so maybe that's contributing to the optical illusion.  I was surprised to see the depth of the crotch curve on 9032.

 side back; upper and lower halves
2921 on top of 9032

I placed 2921 on top of 9032 to see the difference in hip curve.  2921 is essentially a chunky rectangle with no regard for curvy hips.  This style may look good on other figures, just not on mine.  In the picture on the right, the lower half could stand to lose more width.

 front
9032 on top of 2921
The difference in width is drastic and starts almost immediately below the crotch line.  I removed all of that nonsense.


I took off the pattern first, and then laid the pattern on top of the pants and trimmed away the excess.

I only made changes to the front to check the fit.  I'll unpick the back princess seams and trim away some more fullness.  I noticed that the back inseam swings to the front because the front hem length is shorter than the back - which means the back hem is too wide.

Going forward, I will use the front of 2921 and the back from 9032.  I suppose I could use either waistband, so I'll likely cut both and see which one gives the best fit.

I hereby dub this frankpattern Vogue 2932.  See what I did there? =)

Because I cannot seem to work on just one project at once, I am in the middle of another version of BWOF 8-2005-102 out of a navy blue wool.  I'll finish that first before resuming work on the pants.

Thank you everyone for offering suggestions.  I think this may be a TNT.

Until next time, peace!

L










16 comments:

  1. Wow...the pants look so much better already. Yes, you are on your way to a pants TNT - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa. =) I worked on them a bit more and unfortunately don't think this version will work out. We shall see.

      Delete
  2. You crack me up!

    YESSSSSS! So brilliant. So. So. Brilliant! They are looking pretty amazing and yes, that shaping helps a ton.

    I love that Burda skirt so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I first found 9032 after reading your reviews; you sold me on the back fit. If I can get the fullness right at the lower leg, I think this will be a wardrobe staple. Me and this Burda skirt are BFFs.

      Delete
  3. Looking good. Glad this is working out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great improvementšŸ‘ I'm bet you are glad you unpicked them. I think I am going to have to order v9032 Its had such positive reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I picked it too. It showed me that the fit of 2921 can be improved with just a few tweaks. If it doesn't work out, then at least I know where to go from here.

      Delete
  5. Great results, patience and practice make perfection....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the three Ps. =) I hope these work in the future.

      Delete
  6. Great pants! I like how you called your pattern piecing franken pattern. I was so sad to see Edmund go on Project Run Way that I actually shed tears. Honestly, I don't think Tim advised him very well. Still he decided to make what he did but it still wasn't easy to see him go - BOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James!

      Edmund, poor Edmund. I didn't know that he was saved by Tim Gunn; I hadn't watched the latest episode yet. He had so much potential. Hopefully some design house will pick him up.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...