10 October 2015

Siimplicity 2284 & the Sewing Bee

I cannot express enough the awesomeness that is Simplicity 2284.


The back isn't this wrinkly.  I took these pictures after a long day at work.

I first made this jacket back in May and wear it often.  I don't know how many zipper-front jackets I need, but I wouldn't mind making two or three more! 

My favorite part is the sleeve vent.  The buttons...I LOOOOOVE the buttons!


I found these a few years ago at an independent craft store that's been around since I was little.  The buttons are glass and the same color as the fabric. 

I added my usual tailoring techniques:  back stay, fully interfaced front and hems, and sleeve heads.  

 

Sewing lining is always a MAJOR pain for me.  Slippery fabrics and I just don't bond well and this jacket almost didn't get finished because of said slipperiness.

As I was cutting out the back lining, the fabric must have shifted, and as a result, this happened:

O_o  
Damn slippery fabric.

There was no way to fudge this either because the sleeve notches were off by more than an inch.  I ended up fusing a scrap of lining to the edge of the back and re-cutting this area.  Hopefully it will hold up.  I *could* have cut a new back lining piece, but since I was pressed for time, I had to improvise.

I added piping between the lining and facing.  I like this little detail and can see it being worked into all of my jackets.  Maybe I'll try making my own with bias striped fabric.  Hmm.


This pattern is definitely a TNT.  

***

So about the sewing bee.  Although I didn't make it to the final round, I'm glad I participated and made it as far as I did.  September sewing usually takes a huge hit with school starting, so the contest forced me to make time to sew.  Here are the garments I made:

Round 1 - fitted blouse

 New Look 6407

Round 2 - embellished fabric

 Jalie 2908

Round 3 - lined jacket

 Simplicity 2284
(top:  Simplicity 2599, skirt:  BWOF 1-2015-109)

I like what I made and am sure they will all get lots of wear.

The Round 4 challenge is to create a look for a 2016 Olympic competitor.  Ummmmm...yeah.  Big fail on my end.  Though I think it would be interesting to do the research on how to make something like this, I am not upset to be watching from the sidelines!

***

Up next?  Regular stress-less sewing.  I started working on another version of New Look 6407 at the beginning of September and am in the process of cutting out a pair of pants using Vogue 2921 (OOP).  

Until next time, peace!

L
 
 

30 comments:

  1. L you are too darn cute!. I love your zipper front jacket. If I wasn't so heavily involved with winter coat making I'd make one of them right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you Faye! I need to be on your bandwagon and make a winter coat!

      Delete
  2. L, this zipper front jacket is giving me some serious envy,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the zippered jacket and you've got me thinking I need one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be looking for your review. =)

      Delete
  4. Love that jacket! Looks absolutely perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's perfect! And way to improvise and make it work! I do love piping between the facing and lining. It adds such a nice bit of interest.

    So glad you ended up with wearable garments from each round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SCC! I like my looks and am happy with each garment. I had zero ideas for the Olympics challenge and am not upset for not making it!

      Delete
  6. Loved all your garments for the Bee and so glad you putting them into regular rotation.

    Another with envy for a zippered front jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Sharon! You have a lovely wardrobe. I am sure a zippered-front jacket will fit in nicely.

      Delete
  7. Love your jacket and all of the garments you made for the sewing bee...especially those embellished jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! I still haven't worn my embellished jeans yet. I'm thinking it may be a bit too flashy for school. Hmm...maybe during the final exam. =)

      Delete
  8. Love the jacket! It's wonderful that you made it as far as you did in the sewing bee! Congratulations on three amazing garments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I have got to try B5678; I like all of your versions and want one for myself!

      Delete
  9. I love this jacket! I'm bummed that you didn't move on, but I don't know how I'd feel about that challenge, myself. I'm a big fan of zippered jackets over more formal blazers, myself, and I bought this pattern back because of your May version, but you know that. ;) I need to get around to making my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michelle! What are you waiting on girlie? =) Make that jacket!

      Delete
  10. The jacket is just perfect on you - and I agree, after the sewing bee, stress free sewing is the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I have to admit, though, that my sewing has slowed down a bit. Hah!

      Delete
  11. Great jacket and you have been a busy bee (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahaha...so punny! Thanks Sheila. =)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful save! Its seems you find great new techniques from errors, nice you had a chance to do the sewing bee till round 3. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I almost gave up after seeing the lining mishap. I didn't have time to re-cut and sew a new lining, so I had to make it work. =)

      Delete
  13. Great jacket, I love front zipper jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear you about lining fabrics!!!!! The F bomb gets dropped frequently around here. Your jacket is gorgeous, and I especially like seeing all the tailoring geekery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, F bombs rain like...um...rain around here too! Thank you Duane! How is your jacket coming along?

      Delete
  15. Great jacket - I love the piping and was considering doing the same for mine, but didn't have enough time. great items you made for the first 3 rounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! I love the jacket you made, though I have yet to go through the reviews and comment. I think we all did great jobs!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...