Super huge thanks to Sharon for passing along her notes on how to sew the yoke on the Burda skirt. I gave up on trying to understand the instructions and fumbled around with the pieces instead. When I read her tips, everything clicked and I was able to insert the yoke without any problems.
I am not adding buttonholes, so the yokes are pinned temporarily.
This isn't an error in sewing. The back side seams are higher than the front to allow for attaching the facings.
I have a hate-but-I-get-it relationship with facings. When sewing skirts, I never include them, opting to use peterhsam instead. In this case, though I am not sure how the facings will work and I haven't played with the pieces yet.
Since my fabric is bit flimsy and wool, I wanted to include a lining. Again, with the weirdness that is the top, I wasn't sure how to attach it. So, I underlined it instead.
As I type this, I am wondering if a petersham waist finish is actually possible. Hmm. I would have to cut it in two pieces. One piece would wrap from the right (pictured) front around to the left side seam. The second, much smaller piece would be sewn only to the left (pictured) front. I'll play around with it and see what happens.
Back in August, I started another version of my TNT top pattern, New Look 6407. I stopped working on it when I joined the PR sewing bee. Still in need of tops, I resumed working on it and am almost finished.
The fabric is stretch cotton poplin and is most unforgiving with wrinkles. Why oh why do I torture myself like this! I thought I learned my lesson with my last foray into stretch cotton poplin tops:
The wrinkles are not nearly as hideous as this, but still. Gaaah!
Both garments are part of my Starting from Scratch wardrobe building plan. I'm not really following the order presented on the Vivienne Files - which is probably not how this is supposed to work. =) Instead, I am filling in holes in my closet and trying to make things that I need to wear now while keeping in mind the colors in my plan.