02 January 2016

Fashion D.Fined

On Tuesday, Anne and I visited the Fashion D.Fined:  The Past, Present and Future of Detroit Fashion exhibition at the Detroit Historical Museum.  The exhibit featured work by designers spanning several decades and local to Detroit or the metro Detroit area.

From the museum's website:

"Fashion D.Fined explores 20th century design and retail alongside the designers and grass roots fashion retailers of today, including costumes from the 1940s, 50s, 60s and even 70s from well-known retailers such as Hudsons, Himelhoch’s, Claire Péarone, B. Siegel and Winkelman’s.


Additionally, today’s innovative Detroit designers and retailers are highlighted. Legendary designers John Varvatos, Anna Sui, Tracy Reese, Vicki Sarge and many more creative Detroiters who have made their mark locally and nationally are featured, along with retailers, designers, and manufacturers like Carhartt and Will Leather Goods and smaller boutique shops like The Peacock Room. 

Visitors will see that Detroit design is so much more than cars!"

(Click here to view the source page.)
 


I didn't catch the names of the designers for all of the garments photographed.  


My favorite look is the first one.  While it's not high fashion, it is something I would wear - minus two of the collars.



I have a challenge for Kyle, the zippered-pocket queen.  How would you make this? Do you think the zipper is functional?  It looks like it opens up to the pocket, but then there's a pocket flap.  Hmm...


The dress on the right is by Anna Sui.  


This dress was gorgeous in person and really...grand.  I think the buildings were also hand-painted by another local artist.  The building in this picture is the Penobscot Building in downtown Detroit.




This designer sources her material from old automobiles.  The petals are leather and the underskirt is made of seat belts.  Oh and yes, that necklace is made of bullets


This ponte knit dress is gorgeous and not a print!  Each oval is sewn into the garment.  Look at how precise the points are!  Anne said that this would be a fun challenge to sew.  Yeah, no.  Trying to sew those points would drive me insane.


This is a jacket made by John Varvatos for Jimi Hendrix.  This is the best glare-free shot I could get.  The details are divine.



In addition to garments from native designers, there were several images and placards describing fashion in the D over the years.  This is an image of a greeter at the old J.L. Hudson building downtown.



When I think of fashion, my hometown normally doesn't come to mind.  Visiting the exhibit made me realize that talent can be found anywhere and one doesn't have to be from NYC, Milan, Paris, or other major fashion hubs to make a statement.

I can't remember the last time I visited the Historical Museum.  I enjoyed the visit with Anne and will likely go back to see the other regular installations.  Thanks Anne!  

***
Up next:  I need to finish my year-in review post.  I made two, yes TWO garments already to kick off the new year.  And, I've started work on a third! 

Until next time, peace!

L

14 comments:

  1. That fantastic skirt is by Ann Yee! I have fallen in love with her designs since spotting the skirt. Thanks for a wonderful afternoon. I really enjoyed talking sewing and fashion with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah yes, I remember that name now. We must knock off that skirt! I enjoyed the day as well. We must do this again!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a well designed exhibition, with a good coverage of styles and designers. Love the bullet necklace. And I am not surprised that there are good designers in Detroit - cars and factories are designed by designers after all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exhibit was nicely put together. There were a couple of jewelry and hat designs as well, but I didn't take any pictures. Detroit has a rich history when it comes to cars and music. I didn't know about fashion!

      Delete
  3. I think the pocket detail is probably two different pockets. One pocket is the zipper pocket and the other is a patch pocket with a pocket flap. It would be like taking the zipper pocket sample sewn in your house when we visited and then sewing a patch pocket and a flap on top of that. That's my guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Kyle. It looks like that for sure. A lovely detail. How great is that city scape dress!

      Delete
    2. Yes! That makes total sense! Care to join Anne and me in knocking off the skirt? =)

      Delete
  4. Gosh those pieces are amazing. I really love the red? Orange?? Jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jacket is both blood red and orange! It's a parka with an asymmetric closure...kind of like Minoru meets motorcycle jacket. I thought I saw a Burda pattern like this, but couldn't find it in the magazines I have. I don't think it would be too hard to change the front, no?

      Delete
  5. WOW ... a lot of AWESOMENESS!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you had a marvelous time there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that first outfit, too (even with all of the collars, hehe!) and the red jacket next to it, but that ponte dress with black ovals is amazing! I think it would be a fun challenge, but I doubt I'm up to it. =D (If it was a woven, then maybe...MAYBE.) Thanks for sharing this exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this looks like so much fun! I would love to have attended something like this too! Thanks so much for sharing your fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, man, that John Varvatos number!!!!! I may be an old man from the boondocks, but I'm tempted to dress like a rock star. Maybe for PR's bargainista fashionista contest?????

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...