02 March 2016

Catching Up

Well now.  Long time, no post!  I only started sewing again in the last week of February.  Life stuff tanked my mojo and sewjo and I didn't have the energy to do much of anything.  Even my sleep was off.  I'm back now...maybe...hopefully...and have some stuff to share.

What's up with that 6PAC?

I had these grand plans to sew a small six-piece wardrobe.  It started out great, but was quickly sidelined by this Simplicity hybrid:


I had problems with sewing the collar stand and setting the sleeve.  I don't know why I continue to torture myself with stretch cotton poplin.  This shit just does not want to play nicely.  I might just skip the sleeves and bind the armholes.

I also cut out another version of Simplicity 1945.  The status?


I actually need to finish this top because I want another black layering option. 

Not doing the PR wardrobe contest.

And I couldn't be happier.  In an effort to try and reclaim my sewjo, I started pulling patterns and fabric to use for the contest.  I got sooooooo overwhelmed that I couldn't settle on a single plan and became completely disinterested.  The pressure of having to compete made me not want to sew.  I was already not sewing and the idea of joining the contest made it worse.  Since scrapping the idea of participating, I've actually sewn two garments and am working on a third.

Another pair of jeans (Jalie 2908).

The first of three new garments is another pair of jeans.  I wasn't even excited about making another pair, but figured since it's quick and easy (for me), why not do it?


Pardon the wrinkles; they're freshly washed and not ironed.

I needed another pair because I gained weight and my other pairs are too tight.  Oops.  The verdict?  Love!  These are comfortable and actually a little too big.  The denim I used has more stretch than I typically like, but that's okay.  These jeans fit and don't cut off my circulation. =)

Another skirt (New Look 6274).

I watched as Kyle (Vacuuming the Lawn) sewed and lined her wool skirt.  For some reason, following her journey inspired me to sew a skirt as well.  Granted mine doesn't have a back vent, but I had to start somewhere.


All I need to do is face the waist.  

Another jacket (Simplicity 2284)

I got this fabric in October on a shopping trip with Anne (Sewing to Soothe My Soul) from a local non-profit art studio.  I never blogged about my haul, but let me tell you I got some GOOD stuffseveral pieces of wool, rayon bemberg lining, silk, and cotton.  I would snap photos, but I've catalogued and stored everything already.  This wool piece was just long enough to cut out the jacket and is sewing up quite nicely.


I need to cut and sew the lining (waaah).

No sewing doesn't mean no stashing.

So far this year I've made two fabric purchases:  one small, one large.  Joann Fabrics had some nice rayon/nylon stretch bottomweight that I thought would be good for these Vogue pants:



I love everything about the seaming and really, really want to make these pants.

As far as the large purchase...

polyester bouclé
polyester bottomweight and suiting
polyester ITY
cotton shirtings
cotton suiting

I bought a lot of polyester this time because I need more washable clothes.  I love wool, but it's not practical to have a whole wardrobe that needs dry cleaning.   

I'm thinking of using the houndstooth to make a motorcycle jacket or lightweight coat.
 photo credits:  Already Pretty (left); Polyvore (right)

photo credit:  baublestobubbles

 photo credits:  pinqueblog (left); thisnext (right)

The scale on my houndstooth isn't as large, but I think it'll still look okay.

Starting from Scratch?  Yep, I still am.

I haven't abandoned this idea totally.  I realized that my sewing attention span is shorter than that of a gnat and I have to go with what moves me.  I am slowly, but surely, adding pieces to the plan and following Vivienne's (The Vivienne Files) suggestionsI'm just doing so when I feel like it.

Non-sewing stuff.

Google is ending Picasa Web Albums.  Whyyyyyyyyyy???  Ugh.  I can't stand Flickr and don't know what I'm going to do.  Google, you suck.

I am Feeling the Bern.  I am more terrified of Rubio or Cruz becoming president than Trump.  Aaaand now I need to shower.   


So that's it for now.  The sewjo is back and I hope to posting more often.



    

22 comments:

  1. Working backwards...

    My *child* came to me yesterday and informed me that she can caucus. And I was all :-O OHMYGOSHYOUCAN! She is also feeling the Bern :) I think I am too. I haven't done a lot of research yet to be honest. There's only been one other time in my life as an eligible voter that I was terrified of the all of the Republican nominees. :shudder:

    YES to the houndstooth jacket!!!!! Lovely!

    Beautiful fabric finds <3 Those boucle's are just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I am awaiting a boucle from FM and will be making a nice straight skirt. Team straight skirt!

    The green(?) jacket is lovely and you are a beast with the jeans! Stretch cotton poplin is the work of the devil. It belongs in the same corner as solid color rayon challis. I agree that you should bind the armholes and leave it sleeveless because it's a gorgeous color, the ruffles are pretty and done really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I'm no fan of HRC either and I cannot vote for her. I think I'm calling Elon Musk to see if there is any room on his spaceship to Mars.

      I am all in on the houndstooth jacket. I just have to decide if I want the moto jacket or the coat. Hmm...

      I almost bought some more at the last sale. I have to pace myself and watch my hoarding...er...spending. =)

      I don't know what color this fabric is. Maybe mustard? Stretch cotton poplin and rayon challis can kick rocks. LOL

      Delete
  2. I was nodding in agreement with so many things about this post,lol! I too have been feeling as though "life" things have been putting a damper on my sewing mojo, but I feel like I'm getting it back, thankfully! And stashing fabrics, although I haven't been sewing, please and thank you :)! I say this all the time, but you are the QUEEN of denim. Love your pieces..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl! Life things getting in the way of our fun has to staaaahp! You know I'm with you on continued stash cultivation. =)

      Delete
  3. I've been watching your politics with great interest here as well - there is a zeitgeist sweeping the world at the moment that is a little volatile. Have been thinking about you and all the people who will be deemed other if the terrible T gets in.

    Know what you mean about low mojo - I'm hitting a bout too. Luckily I have a couple of garments made that I can blog about while I do some really tedious jobs in everyday life.

    Yes, you really do torture yourself with that stuff - especially as you like a really good finish. I can live with less than perfect for everyday wear.

    Totally agree about the pressure at PR - too much. And the rules, take photos a certain way and so on. Okay, I get it, you have to have some sort of structure in the set up they have. but it takes all the fun and relaxation component out of sewing. Who needs that, there are enough deadlines and rules in the world as it is.

    Stashing is always a great thing to do when the sewjo is down. It keeps the dreams alive.

    Your jeans look great, as usual.As for polyester, I agree, natural fibres are great, but dry cleaning and ironing takes it's toll on the pockets or the sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adopt me, please? =) I'm potty-trained and self-sufficient. Trump, Rubio, Cruz, Clinton - they're all horrible. Sanders is the least horrible and what does that say?? Why do we always pick from a pool of horrible??? Aaaaaaaargh!

      My mojo was gone, gone gone. I would enter my sewing room, look around, and leave. I had zero desire to sew a single stitch. We all ebb and flow like this. Fortunately we have each other to rely on. =)

      Opting not to do the contest was the best decision. I don't feel the pressure of a deadline and taking pictures.

      I don't know why I keep bothering with stretch cotton poplin either. Some sort of Stockholm Syndrome for sewing or something?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy! I've been thinking of you and hoping that you're okay.

      Delete
  5. On the stretch poplin shirt you could try shaving some of the curve down on the sleeve to maybe better help with making it fit into the armhole more easily.
    Our presidential race is really scary right now. The republican party is fracturing into weird pieces. Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I can try this. I haven't set the other sleeve, so I'll trim some of the sleeve cap and see if that helps.

      The presidential race is scary and a total farce. "Laughing stock" seems appropriate and yet not enough of a description.

      Delete
  6. It was nice to catch up!! I'm sorry your 6PAC hasn't worked out how you wanted--it sounded so promising! I love your fabric haul, and the houndstooth jackets are amazing. The jeans look so professional too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I'll try the 6PAC another time. =) That houndstooth coat/jacket has to get made!

      Delete
  7. Love your fabric haul! Your jeans are fabulous. I understand about the PR contests...if I participate, I only do so if I only need to make one garment. A whole wardrobe? Too much for me! My sewjo has its ups and downs as well - life often gets in the way - totally understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lady! Thank you. =) I've participated in wardrobe contests before, but I'm just not feeling it now. It's too much for what's going on right now.

      Delete
  8. Wow you have been busy and lovin' everrrryything. What Picasa is ending, I have like 4,0000 pics.. wtf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Ugh. I sent you a link to the announcement.

      Delete
  9. Hear you about life getting in the way of sewing, a quick bag is all I have managed and not blogged about. Look forward to seeing what you decide for the houndstooth fabric and you green jacket is coming along nicely and interesting as I do a major cutting out session of fabric and lining works better for me as I would feel the same as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing what I decide for the houndstooth fabric too. Haha.

      Doing a major lining cut-out session is a great idea. Hmm...

      Delete
  10. It is really interesting how these things come and go, like photo systems or google reader. I started with yahoo photos which then was bought/absorbed by Flickr, but I wonder how much longer Flickr will hold on.

    Loving that purple shirt, even if it's giving you fits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. It seems as if Google is trying to consolidate all of its products into one massive endeavor. What I will miss the most is the desktop app. It's very user friendly and what I use instead of Photoshop. They're not getting rid of it, but it will no longer be supported. I don't know if I can upload photos from the app to Google Photos once Picasa is closed. Such a (first world) PITA. =)

      Delete
    2. Re the shirt: thanks! It's hanging in the magic closet right now. I got some other ideas brewing. Muahahaha

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...