11 May 2016

Bedazzled Jeans & a Knit Top

This is jeans number...I have no idea.  I stopped counting a while ago.


I bedazzled my butt.  Is bedazzling still a thing?  Was it ever really?


Though there is nothing new to report in the construction, I finally swapped out the waistband for something better.  For a long time, I've hated sewing the waistband and detested how it looked afterward even more.  Behold my shame:



Sometimes I can get it to work...


...but oftentimes the waistband edge ends up like the first two pictures.  The topstitching is super tiny and uneven.  Blah.
 
Jennifer Stern once showed me how to she sews jeans waistbands, so I decided to give it a try.  I used the waistband and waistband facing from her pattern, cut to a size 14 for extra length.

Attaching the waistband this way was SOOOO much better - though I don't like the flimsiness of the waistband facing.  Next time, I'll either interface the facing or use denim instead of quilting cotton.  I like my waistbands to have a bit of heft.



Also, I can probably use a size 12 waistband with a small swayback adjustment.  The jeans are wearable, but I will always need a belt.

***

I made a knit top.  From a pattern released this year.  Without a muslin. 

Who is this woman?!

I made view A in a similarly-colored rayon jersey.  I cut a size medium and made no other alterations.  
 
I cut the neckband to a length 85% of the neckline circumference.  This was approximately 24 inches plus two 1/2-inch seam allowances.  I think this worked well, but the neckline is still rather wide.

I swear my sewing is regressing by the day.  My coverstitch skills are lacking big time.

I don't like the tight stitches and will try lengthening the stitch on my next knit top.  Otherwise, I'll have to go back to using a twin needle.

No pictures for now.  I hope to get some photos next week.

***

I finished Jalie 3130 and have A LOT to say about this, so I'll save it for the next post.

Until then, peace!
 

L

16 comments:

  1. You are really my jean making muse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those jeans are fabulous! I love the bedazzling on those pockets. It reminds me of a jean jacket I wore in the 1970's that had similar stud bedazzling - fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa. I like the bedazzling too. =) I resisted the urge to bedazzle the front. The back is enough!

      Delete
  3. The bedazzling is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love your jeans and the bedazzling!!! I have the same pattern for a top. I feel the same way about my sewing skills regressing but if those jeans are an indication of your skills you are in a great place!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Haha...don't look too closely at the inside of those jeans. =)

      Delete
  5. Those jeans are fantastic! You are a jeans maven, indeed! That top looks great! I love tops that don't have separate sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lady! I wore the top on Friday and can see some issues. I like the batwing sleeve too, but the neckline is way too wide. I'll have to narrow it somehow if I make it again.

      Delete
  6. Both items look great, but those jeans are spectacular!!! I love the bedazzling, and think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I might bedazzle the cuff of a sleeve or something next. We will see. =)

      Delete
  7. I love both items. Your jeans look totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These jeans are fabulous! I bookmark your jeans posts so when I get there, I'll have a reference ;-)! Such a cute knit top...love the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thank you! I meant to congratulate you on winning the wardrobe contest. When I saw your entry, I knew you were going to win. Well done!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...