05 June 2016

2016 Travels: Germany, Austria, & the Czech Republic (Part 1)

Y'all know I like to get my travel on.  So this year, my friend and I put together a trip to Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic.  Initially, we were thinking of doing a bike and barge tour similar to the one I did in The Netherlands in 2011.  This tour would have started in Passau, Germany and taken us along the Danube River to Vienna, Austria.  We attempted to contact the company to ask questions about booking and to clarify prices, but were unsuccessful.  So we decided to just go anyway and bike in each city.  Flexibility is awesome!

Our trip started in Frankfurt, Germany and continued by train to Munich, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin.  I'll spread these posts over each city and share some of my favorite photos/highlights.

Frankfurt (17 May - 19 May)

We left Detroit late Monday evening and arrived on Tuesday, 17 May at around 9a.  Our hotel was conveniently located directly across the street from the main train station as well as a city tram stop.  Getting around Frankfurt was very easy; it is very walkable with lots to see and do near the city center.  We only had two days here - one of which included an jet lag and no sleep.  Needless to say, we didn't do much. =)


Hauptbahnhof - main train station

 The international bird.  Pigeons are everywhere.  EVERYWHERE.


 Interesting trees.  They looked like life-size Bonsai trees.


 Classic-styled buildings at the center square.

 
 Pictures of the city skyline from our river cruise on the Main River.
 
Edited to add humble thanks to Rory Fanklin who explained the meaning of this mural.
While I read stories of the Syrian child who washed ashore, I was not aware that this was a painting of him.  As expressed by Rory, the red eyes and horns are likely political commentary against Germany's welcoming of many refugees.  Thank you Rory for correcting me.  Here is a link to the story shared in the comments by Rory:  http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/09/im-sure-this-little-boy-brought-only-joy-look-at-how-the-world-repaid-him-warning-distressing-image/
I am sorry for any hurt I may have caused.

 I have an irrational fear of heights, but I like climbing tall structures.
On short flights, I also always get a window seat.  Weird, right?

T and me on the viewing platform of the cathedral.
She isn't on social media so I've obscured her face for privacy.
jacket:  Simplicity 2153
jeans:  Jalie 2908
bag:  Moop knock off

Don't look down.

 
 Views of the city from atop the cathedral.
 Frankfurt's Love Lock bridge.

That's all I have for Frankfurt.  We didn't visit any museums or special sites.  We were all tired from the flight and mostly wanted to get settled in.

Up next:  3 days in Munich.  

Until next time, peace!

L





7 comments:

  1. Can I see photos again next week at pottery?!? I can't wait to see the entire trip :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course. =) I didn't have pictures ready last time and hope to do so next week.

      Delete
  2. Hey there,

    The painting of the baby is actually based on the little Syrian refugee boy whose body was washed ashore after he drowned. I'm betting that the devil horns and red eyes are a further political commentary from someone.
    http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/09/im-sure-this-little-boy-brought-only-joy-look-at-how-the-world-repaid-him-warning-distressing-image/

    Please know that I'm not sending this as a shaming message toward you, but just as a gentle way to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for correcting me. I remember reading about this several months ago and did not make the connection at all. I did not receive your comment as shaming at all! Thank you so much again.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow - what an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing trip. Oh that story about the child is distressing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...