14 June 2016

Three Days in Munich

Continuing with the trip recap...our next three days were spent in Munich. 

Munich by far was one of my two favorite cities. The scenery is simply beautiful and the people were very friendly. Though we didn't visit any museums, we walked around the city A LOT, took two bike tours and visited Neuschwanstein Castle using Mike's Bike Tours - a definite must-do if you're ever in the area.   We also took a trip to Dachau, the first Nazi concentration camp to open in Germany.  I have no words and many words.

On with the pictures...

We found a pizza joint that sells gluten-free pizza.  Though it was jam-packed with people, the food was worth the wait.  Oh yeah, gluten now gives me problems. I really miss donuts!

 
 
On our second day, we took a bus out to Neuschwanstein castle.  The trip included a 2-hour bike ride, lunch at a local restaurant, and a tour of the castle.  To get to the castle, you can either take the bus or hike.   I chose to hike and man, let me tell you, that hike was NO JOKE.  The first few hundred feet were nothing.  But once you turn this "corner," it all goes downhill (or uphill?) from there.   We did this after lunch too!  Had I known what I was getting myself into, I would have had ALL the ice cream.

Here's a photo of K and me at the top.  When we set out on the bike ride, I was cold and decked out in a hat and scarf.  I dropped that nonsense halfway up as the sweat was pouring down my face.  


More pictures from the top.

We couldn't take pictures inside the castle.  In fact, time inside the castle was strictly limited to 30 minutes.  Get in, admire, get out.  


After returning to Munich, we had dinner at Hofbräuhaus.  Hofbräuhaus is one of Munich's oldest brew halls and is owned by the government.  I can't speak on the beer quality because (a) I never liked beer and (b) wheat issues, but there were plenty of liters going around so I assume it is pretty good!  

 Translation:  "Work sets you free."
Main entry gate at Dachau concentration camp.

 Left:  one of the few remaining barracks preserved
Right:  crematorium

There were many other buildings and placards describing their purpose.  I chose not to photograph much more than what is seen here.  It didn't feel right.  The one thing I can say is that Germany does not hide from its past.  Our tour guide said that it is mandatory for every child to learn the country's history - unabridged and with acute honesty - so as to not  repeat history.

Our tour guide (from the second bike tour) said that government buildings are often constructed with glass façades as a show of transparency.  On this building, bullet holes are still visible on the columns.
 

On the second bike tour...
 
 New Town Hall at Marienplatz.
I missed getting pictures of the Glockenspiel.  D'oh.

 Left to right:  Bavarian flag, German flag, Eurozone flag.

 

We had dinner at the English Garden.  I asked for white wine.  It was served in a giant beer mug.  Haha.  Okay!

At the garden, people can go 'river surfing.'



Very cool to watch.  I'd be terrified out of my mind!
 
That's it for Munich.  I would love to go back and visit more of the city.  It is really unique and rich with culture.
 
Up next in the trip recap:  Vienna, Austria.

***

On the sewing front, I finished one of my three works in progress:  the denim skirt.  I will take pictures today and write the blog post tomorrow.

Until next time, peace!






 

7 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I've never been to Munich, but my brother has a few times and always raves about it. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brother is right! Munich and the surrounding area is simply beautiful. Someday indeed!

      Delete
  2. I love traveling so much! We lived in Bavaria when I was in middle school and visited Dachau and the castle. What a glorious trip you had. Can't wait to see the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love traveling as well! I wouldn't mind living in Bavaria at all! I like it more than northern Germany. Where in Bavaria did you live?

      Delete
  3. Your travels sound wonderful...nothing like visiting history to feel history. John and I visited Poland last year, and spent a day at Auschwitz. The trouble is, the horrors are still going on in the world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auschwitz is definitely on my list of places to visit. Visiting history to feel history is one way to not repeat history. The horrors of the world...what will it take for us to learn?

      Delete
  4. Your trip sounds amazing and one day I will get there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...