09 July 2016

Three Days in Vienna

And more trip recap...the next three days were spent in Vienna, Austria.  Unfortunately, I didn't bond to well with Vienna.  The city was nice, but it just didn't capture me the way I thought it would.  It is much larger than Munich and less walk-able.  Though we did walk a great deal, we mostly used the hop-on, hop-off feature of the Big Bus Tour to get around. I am sure there is much more to the city than what I saw.  Perhaps in a future visit I'll get to explore more.

Pics...


These pictures were taken from the train en route to Vienna from Munich. 

Salzburg was one of our train stops.  From the platform, the area looked very nice.  Maybe on a return trip I'll visit here.





Along the banks of the inner canal, there is tons of graffiti - a lot of it political commentary.  



K and I took a 2-hour river cruise along the inner canal and Danube.  It was very peaceful and scenic.


I've settled on climbing to the top of some tall structure as one of my things to do when I travel.  The Eiffel Tower, the Sydney Harbor Bridge, church bell towers - you name it.  If it's got stairs, I am there.  Of course, I 100% second-guess the decision as soon as I start.  Hah!

This is St. Stephen's Cathedral.  The tallest tower, accessed by 343 steps, stands 136 meters (around 400 feet) above ground.  From there, a nice view of the city can be seen.


Vienna has an area known as MuseumsQuartier.  This area houses several attractions including the Leopold Museum and the Museum of Modern Art.  Timing wouldn't allow us to visit much, though we did go to the Butterfly Museum.  I mean come on...butterflies!


 

Near the end of the last day in Vienna, we went out to Schönbrunn Palace.  Again, timing did not allow us to tour the palace since we arrived to the site rather late.  Still, it was a nice walk around the grounds.


That's all for Vienna.  Out of the five cities I visited, this was my least favorite.  I don't think I had enough time to see all that it had to offer.  Next time...

***

Sewing news:  Sewing the coat tired me out, so my sewjo took a little break.  I got back into it yesterday and am almost finished with my second trench skirt.  I also cut out another skirt and a jacket.  Deets later.  Until next time, peace!

L


 


 

3 comments:

  1. Hello my internationally traveling frend. What a wonderful trip. I know y saw great sights and perhaps brought back international fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my internationally traveling frend. What a wonderful trip. I know y saw great sights and perhaps brought back international fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is probably a Vienna that you did not see that would be much more you. The trouble with quick visits to new places is that one does not know the area at all - which, is, of course, all part of the fun and adventure. Looks quite a formal sort of place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...