07 September 2013

The Questions & Other Stuff

Based on some conversations on PR, Debbie Cook of Stitches and Seams asked and answered some questions about her sewing habits.  Knowing that us blog-folk like to share, it'll be no time before everyone is posting their own answer to "The Questions."  Since I like hopping on and off bandwagons from time to time, here are my answers:

1.  Do you cut with your fabric RS or WS out?

I cut with the fabric mostly WS out.  This way, I can make all of my markings as I lift the pattern paper.  For plaids (which I have yet to sew), single-layer pieces, or when watching motif placement is important, I cut with the right side out. 

2.   How do you make your pattern markings?

It depends on the fabric.  Most of the time, I use old pieces of natural soap or wax tracing paper for dots, darts, or other important markings.  For white or delicate fabrics, I use small pieces of low-tack painters tape to mark the right/wrong side and dots.  To mark notches, CF, CB, or fold lines, I snip into the seam allowances.

3.  Do you follow the cutting layout in patterns?

Nope, though I used to when I first started sewing.  At some point in time, I stopped looking.  I try to lay out the patterns to minimize waste.
4.  Are you obsessed with re-folding your pattern tissue on or very close to the original fold lines?

Never.  Well, maybe not never.  I take the time to fold BWOF magazine and Jalie pattern sheets.  If I need to trace a pattern, I cut around the piece(s) to be traced and then fold it in anyway that makes it fit back into the envelope.  If the pattern has lots of pieces and tracings, I put them both into a 1-gallon Ziploc bag - again folded any old kind of way.

5.  Do you make all of the markings?

Most of the time.  I save buttonholes for the end.  Notches, tuck lines, and anything that helps construction are marked.

Anyone else jumping on "The Questions" bandwagon?

********

The only thing I have left to do with the Indygo Junction coat is the hem.  I've played around with the belt several times and can't find a layout that I like.  So, I will probably not stitch the belt to the coat and, instead, leave it free hanging with belt loops or a buckle.  I am still waiting on the buttons.  They didn't go in the last firing and I don't know when they will.  In the meantime, I will get some pictures in the next couple of days.

********

My next sewing project will be....wait for it...an attempt at a button-front woven blouse.  Anyone who knows my sewing history knows that this has been a quest for a LONG time.  I decided to join BeaJay's Scary September challenge (original post) and resume the quest for a good-fitting woven blouse.  She's already posted an update of risk-takers.  At this rate, I might be rolling my project into Onerous October.  =) 

Until next time, peace!

L




8 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing along! :-)

    Onerous October ... love it! I'm not so much scared of sewing projects, just lazy when it comes to the more tedious ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for initiating the discussion! October sewing seems to be tending on onerous. =)

      Delete
  2. Then Notorious November, and Dicey December :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL's. L, I don't know if it is me, or what, but when I went to your post about your lovely new coat, is what not there - I wanted to have a good look and also congratulate you for finishing it ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not you. Yesterday, I accidentally hit 'publish' instead of 'save' before the post was finished. When I reverted the post back to a draft, it was too late and notifications of the new post had already gone out. Everything should be fine now. Sorry about that!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...