06 January 2013

M5523 & KS3179: Complete


McCall's 5523 (skirt)
Let us all welcome the newest member to the town of Waddervile.  Don't worry, dear discarded garment, you'll find plenty of company along with many other less desirables.  I had high hopes that we would get along well, but you didn't want to play nice with your wrinkling and all.  It's a shame, too, because I think you really would have enjoyed meeting Judith's offspring.

On with the review...

Fabric & Notions:
  • 1.5 yards of rayon-poly-lycra stretch woven suiting
  • 1.5 yards of beige (more like gold) stretch polyester charmeuse
  • 1.5-inch wide beige petersham cut to waist circumference plus extra
  • 7" invisible zipper
Fitting & Alterations:
Having made the skirt in 2010, I didn't need to make any additional adjustments.  The pattern has a 1.25" wedge at the center and side back for a full seat. 


In more recent applications of the wedge alteration, I straighten the seam above the alteration and take off the extra width from the side seam.  I didn't do that with this pattern and don't see any negative affects.

Construction:
All seams were sewn on my machine and then serged together.  For the next project using this fabric, I'll finish the edges first, sew the seams, and then press them open.  I added a rolled hem to finish the bottom edge.  I tried to turn up a hem, but the curve of the flounce too deep and, by this point, I was beyond done with this garment.

Conclusion: 
The rendering of this skirt to Wadderville has nothing to do with the pattern.  The pattern is fine and I intend to sew it again..  The fabric's not even that bad, really.  At least, I hope it isn't since I have yards upon yards of this stuff.  I just can't get the wrinkles out in a way that makes this...um...less wrinkly.  I think the color of the fabric only exacerbates the problem. I also think the problem might be with the type of needle I used.  I switched to a 75/11 microtex midway through the project because the 90/14 universal needle made big holes in the fabric.  I don't have any wrinkles in my Jalie jacket and I used the microtex needle from the very beginning. 

The big question is, will I wear it?  I don't know.  It's hanging in my closet for now.  If there comes a day when I haven't done laundry and have nothing else to wear to work, it might make an appearance.

Kwik Sew 3179 (top)

Pattern love is in full effect with this one.  This is the fourth time I made this top and don't know why it's taken me so long to make it again.  There are four pieces (back, left front, right front, tie extension) all cut on the bias and can almost be completely sewn on a serger.

Fabric & Notions:
  • 2 yards of purple-ish cotton solid
  • regular sewing thread for sewing/serging seams and rolled hem
Fitting & Alterations:
I cut large and took out a half an inch of width from the neckline, tapering to nothing at the hem.  Aside from that, I didn't make any other alterations. 

Construction:
I cut this out a couple of days ago and finished it in about an hour.  It would have taken even less time, but I decided to sew the seams on my machine first and then serge them together.

Conclusion:
This is a great instant gratification project.  It's what I needed to get back in the groove after the McCall's skirt.  I'll take pictures wearing both garments when I get all prettified. 

Up next:  A BWOF skirt in the same rayon-poly-lyrca fabric.  Oy vey.

L


16 comments:

  1. Your top is absolutely beautiful and so is the skirt. Sorry about the wrinkling problem that caused you trouble, but glad to see that you are undaunted and moving right along. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Faye! How the heck are you? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made up the same skirt in some "clearance" fabric from Haberman's and HAD THE SAME PROBLEM! I agree with you 100%, the pattern is fine. The KS top is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's really a PITA. I am going to give this one more try and see if I can return the rest of the fabric. I don't want to be disappointed again. =)

      Delete
  4. Love the top and the colour is awesome. Hope you clear up the mystery of the wrinkles - that skirt really looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A mystery it is indeed. My jacket doesn't seem to pose the same problems. We shall see!

      Delete
  5. What's a few little wrinkles between friends???? And a view I haven't tried....yet! Such a pity you aren't sold on it. But the top is brilliant - and made in 1 hour!!! Love it...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *smile* The Kwik Sew top is really simple and can be done with little thought involved - something I definitely needed after the demise of the skirt. If you plan on trying view A, I would cut the flounce on the fold. The seam just seems weird back there.

      Delete
  6. Too bad about that white fabric, because the skirt pattern is cute as can be. Pretty purple top, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cute top! Love that fibrant color! That's ready too bad about the skirt, it happens...but it won't hinder your progress though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to suggest the possibility of dyeing it to cammo the wrinkles more (though I doubt I'll ever dye any fabric myself) but then I see you said it's partly poly and from my vast Project Runway experience, I know that means it can't be dyed.

    That purple shirt is fab. I can't sew anything in an hour anymore, so I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Kyle. Honestly, I would sew another skirt before I tried dying anything. That. Lazy. LOL

      You can definitely sew this top in an hour. The time didn't include cutting out the fabric, only sewing.

      Delete
  9. Glad the skirt is finished! Hopefully, the issue with the wrinkles was just from the needle.... BTW, I love the purple top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the wrinkles are just from the needle as well. We'll see with the next skirt.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate and read them all - even if I can not personally respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...