02 August 2020

Mid-Year Update

Given that we're now in August, this is a bit beyond "mid-year." But in a year that's felt more like 137 decades, who's really counting?

I haven't posted to this blog in weeks because I really didn't know what to say. I actually started writing a long post (1155 words) back in June about my thoughts on being Black in the States. The more I thought about it, the angrier I got at having to once again justify why my Black life matters. Add to that some racial foolishness going on at work and I was done. Sleepless nights and whirlwind emotions ranging from intense sadness to rage were too much to handle.

To save my sanity, I had to step away. I took long solo walks on local nature trails, deep cleaned most of my house, purged/reorganized fabric, and did some sewing. 

I don't know what more I can say that hasn't already been said. Black lives matter. Saying this isn't politics; it's humanity. I am a human and my life demands justice and equality just like everyone else's. 

Renee and Elaine's posts summarize perfectly and beautifully what I've been thinking:

Elaine: Confirm Humanity 

Near the end of Elaine's post, there is an image of books to read to begin the hard and necessary discussion about race in the States. Please start there if you want to learn. When it's time to converse, do more listening than speaking.

I'll post some sewing stuff eventually.

L

10 comments:

  1. I liked your post. I am an old white woman who feels committed to understanding my black friends. I am reading a couple of books and my grand daughter who is quite the advocate for Black Lives Matter is educating me. I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I am glad you are committed to understanding; this is part of the healing that is required for all of us. Stop by any time.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, I’m another “old white woman”. I “get“ black lives matter, I had such discrimination against being a woman in college and beginning a career, I shed too many tears and felt all tied up with anger. To this day I can spot one of those “old white men” who feel this way a mile away. Blessings to us, I say, in a very inclusive “us”! Love your makes, you inspire me as I’m just getting back into sewing for me again. No kids, but I spent years taking care of Jon’s parents with dementia And my mom only a few years later. I’m enjoying using my sewing machines again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Cherie. This is what sometimes puzzles me: how is it that some women are vehemently opposed to Black Lives Matter when women exist in a system that is run by and overwhelmingly favors men. I say it "sometimes puzzles me" because I am reminded of the women's suffrage movement that excluded Black women.

      It's good that we can find some respite and joy in sewing. Blessings to you as well.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for returning and bringing your thoughts with you. Another old white women here who so wants that deeper understanding of the lives of those of color. I really appreciate the book list you've offered and will get right on it. I so love that we share this sewing space where our passion is shared. I am glad that you welcome me here and I can learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bunny. You are absolutely welcome here and I am glad that we can share this space as well. Feel free to reach out at any time.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you got to pull away and do some things that helped you mentally and emotionally. I look forward to seeing you back when the time is right, and it is good to know you are still sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa. Taking time to decompress definitely helped, though the issues are never-ending. =( I'm glad to have done a bit of sewing and hope to share soon.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment! I will try to respond to all. Comment moderation is activated to prevent spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...